Sunday, April 08, 2007

Paddled today!



Maybe it wasn't the best choice of days. It was cold and windy. I arrived at a large lake here in NJ, one that I paddle frequently. Took the kayak off the roof, changed into my paddling attire for cold weather and cold water. Drysuit liner, fleece socks, fleece top and then my dry suit. Put on my Chota's and was ready to go. As I was about to get in, someone pulls up in a car and tells me the flashing light is on. Flashing light on this lake indicates high winds and all boaters off the lake.

So I get back in the car, hoping the alert will end. No dice! I start thinking of alternatives, remember that there is another large lake nearby with more sheltered waters. So I load the boat back on the car and drive 20 minutes to get to the other lake. Looks good!
Unload the boat, park my car and off I go in the midst of a snow shower. Paddled for about 2 hours, staying as much as possible out of the wind.
It felt good to be back in the boat again. Several months ago I underwent surgery for a hernia, which limited my paddling. Looking forward to warmer weather and calmer winds.



1 comment:

derrick said...

cold and windy is better than not paddling, that's for sure. :) Glad you got out!